According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for Private Investigator is $45,610. Private investigator salary is affected by factors such as industry and geographical state.
Top Industries for Private Investigator Salaries
(Industries with the highest published employment and wages for PI are provided.)
- Investigation and Security Services
- Management, Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- Local Government (OES Designation)
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- State Government (OES Designation)
States with the Most Earning Potential for a Private Investigator
The top-paying states for private investigators and detectives:
- Washington: annual salaries of over 70,000.
- Texas: annual salaries of over 64,000.
- Alaska: annual salaries of over 63,000.
- Virginia: annual salaries of over 62,000.
- Nebraska: annual salaries of over 62,000.