New Jersey, the Garden State, has many interesting career opportunities, but perhaps the most thrilling is becoming a private investigator. Contrary to what many people believe, private investigation is a very involved career, and can include such high-level tasks as fraud investigation and tracing fugitives and missing citizens.
The New Jersey State Police regulates private investigators, referring to them as private detectives. If you’re interested in becoming a New Jersey private detective, you will need to follow the steps outlined by the state police and pay their mandatory fees.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
New Jersey Private Investigator License Requirements
- Age: Private detectives in New Jersey must be over the age of 25 before a license will be granted.
- Provisional Requirements: While only residents of the US can become New Jersey private detectives, you do not have to be a resident of New Jersey to receive a license.
- Criminal Background Check: A background check is required before you will be licensed. You will also need to be fingerprinted, which is the first step in applying for a private detective license.
- Discharge from Military: If you received a dishonorable discharge from the military, you can still be a private detective in New Jersey.
- Financial History: Your credit history will be reviewed before your license will be granted. If there are any delinquent accounts on your report, you will have to address each issue before receiving your private detective license.
- Mental Health Check/Mental Disease or Defect: A psychological background check is not required to be licensed as a private investigator in New Jersey.
- Insurance Needed: You must have a $3,000 surety bond.
- Automatic Disqualifications: There are no automatic disqualifications for private detective work in New Jersey.
Education and Experience
- Degree and/or Accepted Experience: New Jersey has no degree requirements for individuals seeking a private detective license. However, there are experience requirements. You will need either five years of experience in a State, County or Municipality police department, five years of experience in a federal investigative agency, or five years of professional investigative experience with documentation.
- Written Exams: New Jersey does not have a written exam for private detectives.
New Jersey P.I. Training Courses
Because private investigation requires a very specific skill set, it’s extremely important to participate in training. Typically, private detectives will complete a degree in a discipline closely related to the profession. Some of these degrees include criminal justice, forensics, law, investigation and political science.
Forms needed for Detective License
- Fees Required: You will be required to pay a $250 application fee and a $65.45 fee for being fingerprinted.
- Registration Needed: Your first step in receiving your license is to be fingerprinted. After fingerprinting, you must complete an application and submit it to the New Jersey State Police. Documents to submit with your application include a passport-style photo, five character references from citizens who are older than 21, a Detective Surety Bond form and a notarized, signed Authorization for Release of Information form.
- Maintenance Required for PI License: New Jersey private detective licenses must be renewed every two years. You will submit a renewal form with a current passport photo and updated information.
Salaries — According to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
In May of 2015, there were 730 private detectives working in the state of New Jersey. This is according to the last available information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The typical yearly salary for a private detective employed in New Jersey in 2015 was $63,480.
Links to State Government Pages or Other State Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in New Jersey
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics