Nevada is a state known for excitement, and if you’re looking for one of the most exciting careers this state has to offer, look no further than private investigation. In both the public and private sphere, private investigators are in increasingly high demand, and perform important tasks such as fraud investigation and fugitive location.
Like the majority of states across the country, Nevada requires that private investigators working in the state obtain a license. In Nevada, licenses are issued by the Private Investigator’s Licensing Board, and you must comply with all of the Board’s requirements before your license will be granted.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Nevada Private Investigator License Requirments
- Age: Nevadans who want to become private detectives must be at least 21 years old.
- Citizenship: You can be a US citizen or an alien allowed to work in the United States to receive a private investigator license.
- Multiple Background Checks: Applicants must be able to pass background checks performed by the FBI, the Nevada Department of Public Safety and the California Department of Justice if you’ve ever worked or lived in California.
- Military Career: While a military career may be useful for a private investigator, it has no bearing on your application.
- Finances: In Nevada, a candidate’s personal finances are not examined for a private investigators license.
- Mental Health or Defect: You will not need to undergo a mental health examination to earn your license.
- Insurance: After passing the licensing examination, you will need to secure $200,000 worth of insurance coverage from a company licensed in Nevada.
- Automatic Denials: Felony convictions, convictions due to moral turpitude and convictions caused by the illegal use or possession of a firearm will prevent you from becoming a licensed private investigator.
Education and Experience
- Acquiring Education and Experience: The Nevada Private Investigator’s Licensing Board requires applicants to gain 10,000 hours of work experience prior to licensure. This experience should take place over 5 years, with 2,000 hours being acquired each year. Education can be used for part of this requirement. Associate degrees in political science or criminal justice equal 1,333 hours; bachelor’s degrees equal 3,000 hours.
- Licensing Exam: You will be eligible to take the licensing exam after you have submitted your application and received Board approval. Scoring 70% constitutes a passing grade.
Nevada P.I. Training Courses
Receiving proper training is a crucial step in becoming a successful private investigator. While the Board has no specific requirements for certified training courses, they do prefer candidates with political science or criminal justice degrees. Additional degrees you should consider for your career include forensics and investigation.
Forms needed for Detective License in Nevada
- Fees: You will need to pay a $20 application processing fee, a $500-dollar initial licensing fee and a $750 deposit for your background check. There is also a processing fee for your fingerprinting, which costs $37.50. The licensing exam costs $100.
- Private Investigator Registration Process: Having your application approved includes providing the right documentation. In addition to the required fees, you must submit proof of citizenship, three fingerprint cards, three notarized certificates supporting your work experience, three notarized certificates of personal reference, education transcripts, three years of tax returns and proof of child support payment, if applicable.
- License Maintenance: You must renew your license each year for a fee of $500.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Career Information
In the most recent report released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it was stated that there were 210 private investigators employed in Nevada in May of 2015. The yearly salary for these licensed private investigators was $44,300.
Links to State Resources and Professional Organizations
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Nevada
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics