According to recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the private detective and investigator employment field is expected to grow by five percent until the year 2024. As more and more cyber crimes and scams are taking place in the digital age, the demand for legal services like private investigators has increased.
If you’re a Louisiana resident interested in becoming a licensed private investigator, there are certain requirements you must complete. Based on your experience and ability to meet these requirements, you could soon be on your way to working in this high-demand industry.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
How to Become a Private Investigator in Louisiana
- Age: The legal age to work as a P.I. in Louisiana is 18.
- Criminal Background Check: Applicants must complete a criminal background check upon submitting an application. If you have felony or misdemeanor convictions within the last 10 years, you will not be qualified for P.I. licensure.
- Louisiana State Board of Private Investigator Examiners (LSBPIE) Regulations: The LSBPIE requires that corporations seeking licensure must meet all law requirements to be qualified to operate in the state. Additionally, the LSBPIE may request an interview or additional information in order to ascertain whether an applicant meets the necessary qualifications.
- Mental Health Check: Candidates must not be adjudicated of mental incompetency.
- Insurance Needed: There are no current insurance requirements.
- Automatic Disqualifiers: No proof of U.S. citizenship or resident alien documentation; evidence of drug or alcohol addiction or abuse; certain mental deficiencies or diseases which cause impairments.
Education and Experience
- Degree: A post-secondary degree is not required to become a private detective in Louisiana.
- Accepted Experience: For agencies seeking licensure, at least three years of experience working in an investigative capacity within the last ten years is required.
- Written Exams: Applicants must pass a Board-administered exam with a score of 75 percent or higher.
PI Training Courses in Louisiana
The LSBPIE requires aspiring applicants to complete an approved 40-hour course. These training classes will educate candidates on the job requirements and state laws, as well as how to properly handle evidence.
Forms Needed for Detective License in Louisiana
- Fees Required: The written exam requires a $50 fee. Additionally, the different classifications of licensure will have fees as follows: $192.50 for the Apprentice and Individual Licenses, and $342.50 for the Journeyman and Agency Renewal fees of $100 for individual licenses and $250 for journeyman and agency licenses are also required.
- Maintenance Required for PI License: License renewal must be completed prior to the expiration date. Renewal fees are also due with the application in order to continue your practice as an individual private investigator or P.I. agency.
Louisiana Private Investigator Salary and Job Outlook
In Louisiana, private investigators make an average annual wage of $40,940, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Helpful Louisiana Links and Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Louisiana
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics