If you’re looking for a career where you can work in many different environments away from a desk, then being a private investigator might be for you. This occupation involves working in the field, conducting surveillance and interviews and gathering information that can be used to solve cases of a personal or legal nature.
To be licensed in this field of work, Kentucky has several initial and secondary requirements. We’ve compiled an outline regarding what you need to do in order to join this exciting and rewarding industry. Read on to find out how to become a private investigator in Kentucky.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Kentucky Private Investigator License Requirements
- Age: The minimum age requirement in the state is 21.
- Provisional Requirements: Enrollment in a program for substance abuse within the last three years will disqualify you from applying.
- Criminal Background Check: Upon applying to be a private detective in Kentucky, you will be asked to complete a criminal background check. This will reveal whether or not you have been convicted of a felony in the last ten years or of crimes involving moral depravity or dishonesty within the last five. Either of the two will prevent you from obtaining licensure.
- Mental Health Check: A mental health check ensures that you are of sound mental capacity to perform the essential functions of a P.I.
- Insurance Needed: There are no liability insurance requirements in the state of Kentucky.
- Automatic Disqualifiers: Not a U.S. citizen; no high school diploma or GED; use of illegal drugs or history of alcohol abuse; lack of good moral character.
Education and Experience
- Degree: In Kentucky a high school diploma or its equivalent is the only educational requirement to become a private investigator. If you have pursued a degree in criminal justice, law enforcement or another similar field, this will improve your chances of ideal placement in the field.
- Accepted Experience: Work for a licensed private investigation company in the state will qualify as valid experience, however it is not required.
- Written Exams: After Board approval, you can schedule an examination to obtain an official license. To prepare for the exam, it is recommended that you study the Kentucky Revised Statutes and Administrative Regulations
Forms Needed for Detective License in Kentucky
- Fees Required: The private investigator individual application requires a $100 fee made payable to the State Treasurer. There is also a $34.75 fee to obtain the required fingerprint cards.
- Required Documents: The Kentucky P.I. application, three fingerprint cards, two color 2’’ x 2’’ photographs of yourself, an Administrative Office of the Courts Criminal Background Check Form and a letter of endorsement from your current P.I. company, if applicable.
- Maintenance Required for PI License: Renewal is required every two years with completion of this form.
Kentucky Private Investigator Salary and Job Outlook
2015 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that Kentucky private investigators make a yearly mean wage of $49,070.
Helpful Kentucky Links and Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Kentucky
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics