Delaware is a small state, but it still has its share of mysteries to solve, and nobody is better at solving mysteries than a licensed private detective. Whether it’s helping local, state or federal law enforcement hunt down fugitives from justice, investigating suspicions of a cheating spouse, running background checks for corporations or investigating legal statutes for law firms, PIs have an exciting and fulfilling career path.
Here are the requirements and guidelines for obtaining licensure as a Delaware private detective.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Delaware Private Investigator License Requirements
When studying how to become a private investigator in Delaware, the state does require licensure for those seeking to work in the field of private investigations. These licenses are administered and overseen by the Delaware State Police, and obtaining one requires you to meet certain minimum requirements as listed below.
- Age: To qualify for licensure, you must be at least 21.
- Provisional Requirements: Delaware doesn’t have provisional licensing.
- Criminal Background Check: You’ll need to be fingerprinted to prove you have no felonies, theft convictions, moral-related crimes, or drug offenses, or recent assault convictions.
- Military Discharge: Delaware doesn’t have regulations regarding military discharge.
- Financial History: There are no financial history requirements.
- Mental Health Evaluation: No mental health evaluations are needed.
- Insurance Needed: No bonding is required for licensure.
- Automatic Disqualifications: Convictions of crimes, as above, disqualifies one for licensure.
Education and Experience
- Degree: There are no degree requirements.
- Experience: You must be hired by a licensed agency as an employee before you can be processed for a license.
- Written Exams: A state written exam issued by the board of examiners is required.
- Training Courses: Completion of an approved 16-hour state training class is required. In addition, if you wish to carry a firearm, you must complete training through an approved firearms instructor.
Forms needed for Detective License
- Fees required: Fingerprinting costs $69. Application processing is $85. Your ID will cost $20. Fines for a lost ID costs $200 per day.
- Registration needed: You must submit your application with proof of meeting all basic requirements and the processing fee.
- Maintaining Your PI License: When the time comes to renew your license you will be sent a notification letter with full instructions.
Delaware Private Investigator Salary and Job Outlook
According to information reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are currently (as of 2015) 90 PIs licensed to practice in Delaware, and the average annual mean wages are $53,400. Nationwide, the field is expected to grow by 5% through 2024.
Helpful Delaware Links and Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Delaware
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics