When researching how to become a private investigator in Colorado, it’s nice to know the state has some of the highest projected job openings for private investigators in the entire nation, over the next several years. That makes it an outstanding state in which to pursue this rewarding and exciting career path. Private investigators rarely do the same thing two days in a row.
One day they’re finding a missing person. The next, investigating a computer crime. On another day, they’re investigating allegations of marital infidelity. If a job that offers new experiences and the opportunity to use your mind every day is interesting to you, check out the requirements for becoming a Colorado private investigator.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Colorado Private Investigator License Requirements
For those looking to practice as a Colorado private investigator, licensing is available through the state’s Department of Regulatory Agencies and the Office of Private Investigator Licensure. Since 2015, licensure is required in the state, and to be eligible you’ll need to fulfill certain minimum requirements including experience and education.
- Age: Colorado PIs must be 21 years of age.
- Provisional Requirements: Colorado doesn’t offer a provisional license.
- Criminal Background Check: Both state and federal background checks and fingerprinting are required for licensure.
- Military Discharge: Colorado doesn’t have any military provisions.
- Financial History: There are no financial or credit checks required.
- Mental Health Evaluation: Colorado doesn’t have psych exams for PIs.
- Insurance Needed: A PI surety bond is required with $10,000 coverage.
- Automatic Disqualifications: There are no listed automatic disqualifications for Colorado private investigators.
Education and Experience
- Degree: A two-year, four-year, or graduate degree can fulfill 1,000, 2,000, or 3,000 hours of experience requirements, respectively.
- Experience: A total of 4,000 hours of investigative experience, including that gained in military service, or a combination of experience and education, are required.
- Written Exams: You must pass the Colorado Private Investigator Jurisprudence Exam.
- Training Courses: Certain private investigator training programs, such as two-year degrees, can provide part of your experience requirements.
Forms needed for Detective License
- Fees required: Your exam will cost $25. Fingerprinting carries a $39.50 fee. The fee for application is $330.
- Registration needed: Along with your license application, you’ll need to submit proof of meeting the basic requirements, including surety bond coverage, exam completion, required application fee, proof of age, experience completion, and background check. You’ll also need to complete an affidavit of eligibility, your social security number, and answer a series of screening questions.
- Maintaining Your PI License: You will renew your license online, on a schedule as required by the DORA director.
Colorado Private Investigator Salary and Job Outlook
The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists 520 licensed Colorado PIs, making an average of $51,360 per year. With a projected 24.5% increase by 2024 as compared to the national projected average of 5% and the national average salary of $45,610 per year, this marks Colorado as an outstanding place to begin your path in this career.
Helpful Colorado Links and Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Colorado
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security with concentration in Secure Programming
- AA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice - Criminalistics
- BA: Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics