Private investigators are also known as P.I.s, P.D.s and private detectives. These men and women form an important role in our legal system, seeking out information regarding personal, legal and financial matters for a range of clients from individuals to large corporations and even helping law enforcement agents.
A P.I. may conduct background checks, investigate statements, serve legal documents, locate missing persons or fugitives, or investigate crimes. If this exciting career appeals to you, here’s all you need to know to become a private investigator in Alaska.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Alaska Private Investigator License Requirements
What you need to do, to become an Alaska private investigator, depends on where you live. The state does not have licensure for private investigators, requiring only a business license. Certain municipalities, however, do require licensure. These include the city of Fairbanks, and the municipality of Anchorage.
- Age: in both Fairbanks and Anchorage, you’ll need to be at least 18.
- Provisional Requirements: Fairbanks requires you to be of good moral character, not addicted to substances, and that you have both Alaska and Fairbanks business licenses. Anchorage requires only an Alaska business license.
- Criminal Background Check: Both Fairbanks and Anchorage require a criminal background check. In Fairbanks this is to demonstrate that you are not a convicted kidnapper or sex offender.
- Military Discharge: Alaska has no provisions regarding military discharge.
- Financial History: Alaska has no financial history provisions.
- Mental Health Evaluation: A mental health evaluation is not required.
- Insurance Needed: In Fairbanks you will need a $10,000 bond or equivalent securities.
- Automatic Disqualifications: Aside from your criminal background check results, there are no automatic disqualifications.
Education and Experience
- Degree: While there are no degree requirements, a certificate in private investigation or a degree in a field like criminal justice can be very helpful in building necessary skills and knowledge.
- Experience: No experience is necessary to begin work, but the more you obtain, the more successful your business will likely be.
- Written Exams: There is no written exam requirement.
- Training Courses: Many colleges and universities offer PI certificate programs.
Forms needed for Detective License
- Fees required: the application fee in Fairbanks is $75, and the licensing fee is $400. In Anchorage the fee is $100.
- Registration needed: There are applications required in both Fairbanks and Anchorage. You’ll also need to provide proof of fulfilling the basic requirements. In Anchorage, you’ll also need a detailed work history.
- Maintaining Your PI License: Your Fairbanks license must be renewed every 2 years, and costs $400 to renew. In Anchorage, you’ll need to renew every 2 years at a cost of $100. In addition, your business licenses will need to be renewed every year.
Alaska Private Investigator Salary and Job Outlook
The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that there are 70 private detectives currently employed in Alaska, but does not provide information regarding the annual mean wage. The national average, however, is $45,610 and the nationwide job growth is expected to be around 5% through 2024.
Helpful Alaska Links and Resources
Education Programs for Private Investigators in Alaska
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security with concentration in Secure Programming
- AA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice - Criminalistics
- BA: Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics